Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day fourteen

First time on my stationary bike: 1.25 miles in 15 minutes on a flat course. Pretty pitiful (compared to the usual 11 miles in 60 minutes over hills). Doesn't feel like an auspicious start. 

Here's where recovery (even though I'm probably ahead of the timeline) slows down and gets frustrating. I'm still progressing, but at a slower rate.

Had my post-op appt with my surgeon yesterday. (He's delighted. I'd like to be walking faster.) Got a couple of good releases: sutures and sticky dressing removed, no more scratchy support hose, done with the nighttime knee immobilizer, OK to take a "real" (instead of spot spraying) shower. Still reinforced are the positional restrictions: keep the knee lower than the hip, don't cross knees/legs, keep at least a 90 degree angle at the hip/torso. Should be able to drive sometime next week. But, I still have a swollen, sensitive caboose -- careful sitting down!

So, there's still another month of this.

I can work, but my concentration is still a little fuzzy. Have to be careful taking phone calls and what I promise I'll do. My organization and analysis isn't so sharp. I'm trying to utilize my time on all those computer "housekeeping" projects I haven't had time for lately. 

Household matters are improving slowly. I've tried to relocate frequently used items to upper drawers and shelves where I can reach them. Still can't pick up the turtle's dish or get at the lower dishwasher rack or move stuff out of the dryer. Can't put on or take off my socks (but I haven't dropped my underwear yet!). My daughter was really getting good at putting on my TED hose -- she'd straddle me like she was hitching them up on her own leg. We laughed so hard I almost got injured.

Friends and family continue to line my surroundings with cheerful encouragement. Cards and emails continue to offer care, concern and comic relief. I had to ask for rides to/from my appointment, for lab work next week and to/from Bible study. People are candid when they can't, cheerful when they can. It's been good practice, asking for help.

A wise friend commented this week, listening to my impatience to get moving at a faster rate, that recovery comes on it's own schedule. So, I've had to acknowledge slower days and going to bed earlier and better days when I can get out in front a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment