Friday, March 2, 2012

One month -- approaching normal

I'm sneaking up on normal. I'm still feeling constrained. But, at least "normal" is in sight.

Lumbering along without a cane, I'm picking up speed, but still slow by my own standards. Everyone seems amazed that I manage stairs pretty easily. Friends comment that they'd think I was "normal" if they didn't know I'd just had major surgery. Hmmm -- a marginal compliment. 

My exercise routine is picking up, too. That really helps. I can't do stretches yet, but I'm almost working up to a sweat. The calorie burn lets me eat nearly normally and moves my energy level closer to usual.

I've been able to ditch most of my "aids" and equipment. Cane and walker are packed away. I'm ready to return that ridiculous raised commode. Blood thinner medication is finally done. I can sit in most chairs (carefully -- though I still avoid deep slouchy couches) and use most bathrooms. Still need the goofy cushions in the car to keep my hips higher than my knees when I'm driving.

I still have positional restrictions to avoid (the remote possibility of) dislocation -- for another two weeks (hips higher than knees. keep a 90 degree angle between torso and thighs). So, I'm still having trouble putting on my sock and toenail polish is out of the question. From experience, I also know that when this restriction is finally lifted, I'll still be too stiff to actually reach my toes or do stretches effectively. This becomes another comedy for a few weeks while I try to regain flexibility.

Exercises are boring, but fruitful. A diligent icing regimen has finally reduced most of my oversized backside. I can wear blue jeans again! These seem like small accomplishments but significantly help lifestyle.

It will probably be another six weeks before I feel comfortable getting on a real bike or powerwalking for exercise. I'm grateful not to have suffered any setbacks so far. And the slowdown in activity has prompted a closer look at life and priorities as well as an appreciation for the love and support of friends and family. Yet another chapter of life interrupted.... and appreciated....

16 comments:

  1. John Charnley's technique has revolutionised the hip replacement surgery and 2012 is the the 50th year of that find.

    prof prem raj pushpakaran
    www.incredb.org/investigator.php?incredb_id=373

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just hip joint replacement surgery but after every surgery, you have to do regularly good exercises. Just surgery did not help but major part is exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An informative article. Thanks for sharing your experience with fellow readers. Hip replacement is a relatively a routine procedure and the patients need to stay in the hospital for 4-7 days. Patients who have a hip replacement surgery typically need to undergo physiotherapy and watch their weight gain post surgery. Exercising and a maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a good idea. Source: Hip replacement surgery

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great post and a very well informative. It's good to hear those patients who are successful on their recovery following good exercises. It just feels so sad for other patients who suffered from pain after their surgery and other complications associated with the devices implanted. Moreover, I had found different stories and cases here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks For Sharing the information about Hip replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. am going in for THR on 31 July 2013 and find your blog invaluable. Should one way of preparing be to have tracky dacks ready? Im sick of not being able to exercise effectively but swimming once a week or more if i ca.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are great. Nice post for the future purpose. I like your thought.

    Hip replacement

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog..It seems that you have worked very hard on this blog..Amazing insight you have on this, Keep doing this job ..

    hip replacement surgery

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your story with us. As I was looking for people who had real experiences with hip replacement, your story proved to be a gold mine. We're looking for your further post.
    Best Hip replacement surgery Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Webmaster,

    Could you please remove my link in the comment with name Zehr Center on keyword:hip joint replacement surgery?

    Looking forward to your reply!

    Thank you,
    ZehrCenter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cam,

    I am confident that your patience in doing these so called “boring exercises” will bring a good outcome. Feeling a little bit constrained is normal for patients undergoing such surgeries. A friend of mine who underwent best hip replacement surgery in Mexico had difficulty at first, but later on, when he was already able to engage into physical activities, he was very thankful. Good luck Cam, and I’m hoping for your fast recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey very informative blog for hip replacement
    The hip and leg pain prevents you for doing usual activities so in order to relieve your pain and disability total hip replacement surgery is perquisite. Total hip replacement surgeries have a good track record for relief the pain and stiffness in hip joint due to this hip replacement service earned popularity. We should provide quality treatment at affordable price with a experts team of doctors
    We should get the more details by go it on:
    Total Hip Replacement
    http://pages.rediff.com/total-hip-replacement-knee-replacement/2070540
    http://kneereplacementdelhi.yolasite.com/
    http://kneejointreplacement.aircus.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Total Hip Replacement Surgery in India, Partial Hip Replacement Surgery in India, Hip Resurfacing Surgery in India,
    Double Hip Replacement Surgery in India, Revision Hip Replacement Surgery in India at low cost and high quality
    is now within reach through Med Access India. Med Access India thus invites you for a free expert medical opinion
    with chosen best hospital for hip replacement surgery in India and
    best hip replacement surgeons in India
    and assures you hassle free arrangements for examinations, procedures, recovery, travel and stay in India

    ReplyDelete
  14. People who are interested in getting the best ever hip replacement surgery in India with 100% successful results then you can directly make your appointment with Eva Hospital. We provide you best and fast results.

    ReplyDelete