Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 8 -- picking up speed

Two steps forward, one step back....

Had to take a step back to pain meds at night. I'm so sensitive -- a quarter of a typical dose snows me. However, getting reasonable sleep was becoming a factor. The pain is not significant -- I just can't get comfortable enough to drop off to sleep. Wearing a knee immobilizer is not a comfortable way to sleep to begin with. I'm getting along on plain Tylenol during the day just fine -- the little twinges typical of healing are welcome.

Happily, I'm moving a little faster and with more confidence. I'm attached to my walker for a while yet. I've been explaining that my moving around is like a toddler's -- I can "cruise" around the furniture, counters, etc. and use the walker for moving out over open carpet. I'm expecting release myself to a cane over the weekend -- feeling like I can stand and pivot on the "new" hip with greater confidence. Whew!

I still have a gi-normous backside, despite frequent icing. Since I have to wear the silly TED hose (those white, up-the thigh, compression sox designed to minimize clots), this presents a hugely obvious bulge in my oversize athletic pants. My latest lesson in humility. Progress, at a cost.



No comments:

Post a Comment