Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day three

Yikes! My body does not handle narcotic pain medication well. After a round of nausea and dizziness again this morning, I went back to plain Tylenol. Actually, my discomfort is pretty minor -- mostly just stiffness while my muscles are figuring out how to work again. Now, this afternoon, I'm feeling pretty normal again. 

My nurse and therapist (who have to be nice, but who I trust) say I'm doing well. It's difficult for me to see progress from day to day. My nightmare is that I'll get up in an sleepy haze and walk off without my walker, doing fine, then realize I've left it behind and panic.

The outpouring of emails, texts, phone calls and encouragement from friends and family has made a huge difference for me. Every time I pick up my phone, someone has something kind to say to me. My sister calls me every day. My son calls me during his lunch hour. My primary advice to anyone facing this is to get your support network geared up. Recovery is so tedious and boring -- contact with the real world and a modicum of comic relief are essential.

So, after a spectacular two days, now I'm having an "OK" day. (Knew it couldn't last.) I'm trying to vary my activities -- new novel, the play my daughter's rehearsing, keeping up with Bible study, New York Times online, following progress of a couple work projects. I think if I keep on some semblance of an agenda, I'll quit staring at the ceiling and lamenting my inactivity. 

I'm also really glad we spent time setting up my temporary living quarters. I feel very self sufficient in my little basement bedroom. We moved in the guest bed, a table and chair. I'm adjacent to my office. We put the mini-fridge on top of the counter so I can get my own drinks and yogurt. And, I'm doing pretty well with stairs, so I think I'll feel like going up/down regularly pretty soon, too.

All in all, I think I'm on schedule and shouldn't be complaining about anything. Hey, for hip replacement, it doesn't get any better than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment