Monday, February 14, 2011

two weeks before surgery


It’s just not fair. I’ve done nothing to deserve this. I’m 58 years old. Fit. Active. Don’t have a history of participating in loony sports. And I need hip replacement.

The warning signs started last spring. When the Wisconsin winter weather breaks, I usually start a cross training program of bicycling and power walking. I play tennis with an enthusiastic and understanding husband. In the spring, I struggled walking, experimenting with shortening and lengthening my stride to avoid the catches and twinges in my hip. Finally, I had to reduce my walk to a “stroll.” Cutting and pivoting on the tennis court brought a grinding discomfort.

I was reluctant to prod my husband, an orthopaedic surgeon for a more serious consult. Our son suffered an ACL tear late in the summer – we had enough orthopaedic issues to deal with at the time. We both thought I had some sort of impingement that could likely be resolved with an arthroscopic procedure – some day.

But my discomfort progressed, slowly but noticeably. I tried to keep my body and walking mechanics in alignment, but I began to fall into a walking limp, experiencing “catches” and “clicks” in my hip socket. I started being really careful walking up and down stairs in case my increasingly unstable hip didn’t hold on to a tread. My only pain free sleeping position was semi-sitting with a pillow under my knee.

Six weeks ago I would have said I’m still not ready. Who is ever ready to plan major surgery? But, things have deteriorated steadily. I lumber instead of trot up the stairs now. An afternoon of prowling the mall with my teenage daughter leaves me sore and hobbling the next day. Even the stationary bike, now my only exercise outlet, is starting to cause discomfort. So, I’m guessing by the last week in February, I’ll be “ready” for my procedure.

What bugs me about this? OK, it’s a tremendously reliable procedure that brings relief to thousands of old people.(Note me!) I don't want to be "slow" for 6 weeks. I don't want the "restrictions" to "protect" my new hip: can't lean over, can't touch my toes, a challenge to put on sox/shoes/underwear... and there's lots more. OK, this is minor stuff in the scheme of a healthy life. It's not cancer or chronic pain. I'd just choose to be able to "pass" on this.


No comments:

Post a Comment