Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Surgery and a blizzard

The snow took some of the edge off the pre-op routine. Everybody had a story about what the snow plow did (or didn't do), school closings that made the normal morning routine a scramble, snow blowers that didn't start. So the mood was light-hearted and entertaining while staff poked me, strung tubes all over me, told me all about the joys of spinal anesthesia.

So I had just a few waiting alone moments to contemplate the 90 minute procedure and weeks of recovery following. I knew I was wrapped in prayer. At church yesterday, one of the little blue-haired ladies that organize the prayer chain trotted across the hallway to hug me, wish me well and challenge my report that I would be well fed and looked after by my family. Walking into the church office last week, the secretary told me she'd be praying for me Monday morning. In the grocery store, a woman in my prayer chain that I see infrequently, promised to pray for me Monday. Many emails from my Bible sisters completes this circle of love.

Actually, the surgery itself wasn't a tremendous issue for me. It's a lot like having surgery at home -- I was the only patient early in the am so I had everyone's undivided attention. My surgeon and the surgery center have negligible infection rates. Since I haven't been suffering extensively, I didn't think they'd find any surprises in my hip or bones. It's the relative unknown of the first couple days that concerned me.

So after 1 1/2 hours, I found myself waking up in the pleasant little back room set up for 23 hour/overnight visitors. The spinal anesthesia meant my legs were numb -- a little unnerving, but I'd been appraised about this -- they woke up on schedule in about 3 hours. I was pretty awake by then, too -- except I felt like I couldn't open my eyes all the way, like I was squinting. Mid-afternoon, my physical therapist came by to supervise my moving around with a walker -- completely wrecking my image of the strong, YOUNG patient. Plus the afternoon nursing staff was huddled around their station to witness this feat (cheerfully, encouragingly, embarrassingly) my first walk. Not thrilling but it was reassuring to know I could stand and walk down the hall to the bathroom. 


I called my family members to reassure them all was fine. My mother had hip replacement (same side) when she was 67 (see, I AM too young) so they feel like they have a yardstick for my recovery.


Everyone is concerned about my pain level. This hasn't been a concern to me, though. Also, I'd previously taken the pain medication they planned for me and knew I'd have to halve the dose, at least. Actually, I'd rather weather the discomfort than feel snowed on narcotics. My husband has always said I'm a cheap date.


The nighttime staff is in and delivered a sandwich/salad for me. So I'm organizing my bedtime reading and settling in for my first night with my new hip.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment