Monday, February 14, 2011

one week before surgery

I can't say that I'm nervous. A little overwhelmed, maybe. Still not wanting to be in this situation.

I've been reorganizing my household for post op safety and "rehabilitation." Stairs will be a challenge for a week or two, so I've decided to land in the basement -- near my office, near the only bath tub that I will be able to step into and TIVO. We set up a bed, a large work table, moved the mini fridge up on to the counter where I can get to it without bending over "unsafely."

Then there were the "appliances." (I acquired all this stuff for my octogenarian mother-in-law two years ago then gave it away, with a "Heck, we won't need this stuff for ten years" attitude. What foresight. The prospect of needing this stuff  is demeaning: commode riser, walker, canes, grabbers, long handled shoe horn, sock-donner, dressing stick (whatever that is -- my brother-in-law, the hilarious one, offers to teach me to use it). 


Determined to be organized and prepared, I've borrowed chairs with arms and placed one on each floor of the house. (Would you believe, I had not a single one in my household?!) Post op, I'm not supposed to ever be in a position where my hips/torso are at less than a 90 degree angle -- I'm not supposed to lean over and I need to sit in "tall" chairs (with arms, so I can push myself up). Go through an hour of household activities sometime and try not to bend over! 


This is where those long-handled "grabbers" come in. I'm dreading the first time I have to pull my underwear and pants on. I've gone around the house moving things from bottom drawers, cabinets and shelves up to places where I'll be able to reach them "safely." 


Since my busy family leaves the house before 7 most mornings and doesn't typically return before 6 in the evening, I'm trying to set things up so that I can be as self sufficient as possible. I have enthusiastic and devoted friends offering help -- and I'm blessed for their care -- but I'll feel more "normal" the more things I can do ("safely!") myself.


The next project is organizing a meal plan for my husband and daughter that doesn't depart too much from usual, so we don't feel too disrupted. They're very self sufficient, but healthy eating is important to us and they'll feel better if they can maintain the usual program. With just the three of us, it's pretty simple. I've almost always got quick meals set aside in the freezer. I'm thinking if I just leave them a suggested menu for the first 4-5 days, all they have to do is thaw and make salad.


This reorganization is a stress -- for my family, too. I'm grateful they've been not only tolerant but cheerfully helpful. (Hope I can make that last!)


It's been helpful to have a mentor/consultant. My brother-in-law, Jack, the hilarious one, had a hip replaced last spring. His daughter, Katie, came home to care for him his first week post-op. They've been encouraging (well, they have to be) and have had great first-hand advice. My doc's nursing staff and the surgery center staff have been immensely helpful, too -- but, it's difficult for them to deal with a doc's wife. Every patient recovers differently -- they have to be diplomatic. Jack and Katie give it to me straight -- they've been through it and they know me.




So, I'm still not happy. But it's not cancer, chronic pain.... I'll get through it. Hey in a short six weeks, I'll be nearly normal, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment